Saturday, February 11, 2006

Candy is dandy, but...

We watched the olympic opening ceremonies last night (well, I made it to 10:30 and the girls both fell asleep long before that). Mom came over to spend the night and brought pizza and we had "party food" in the living room for dinner. I thought I'd surprise the kids with Rice Krispie Treats made to look like Olympic torches. Would you believe that I have made bread from scratch; I have made pasta from scratch; I have made bacon and eggs in a paper bag over a campfire -- but I have never made rice krispie treats. How hard could it be? Even my least-domestic SIL can make rice krispie treats!

Well I failed my first ever attempt at melting marshmallows and stirring in cereal. Apparantly the longer you cook sugar (of which marshmallows contain 99.98% sugar) the harder it will be when it cools. So when I turned my back for 4 seconds and looked back there was a little browning action happening in that pan. Everything seemed fine, though. I didn't even burn myself too badly when I picked up the molten marshmallow stuff with my bare hand to stuff it into the ice cream cone. But when we actually bit into the torches we nearly broke our teeth! They actually were edible, but they were more the consistency of two week old rice krispy treats that have been sitting out on the counter.


The Husband reminded me that I can't make toast, either. Our new stove has a 'toast' setting and twice now I have literally set bread on fire trying to make croutons.

1 comment:

Jolene George said...

LOL Jersey! Well the torches are cute and creative...sorry the marshmallows were over cooked. Soft rice krispy treats sound really good right now! :o) Ty it again...you'll feel better.