Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lake Glory

We got the same campsite that we had last year - the one with the tree smack in the middle of it. I don't know what kind of pine tree it is but the needles are really hard and sharp. We have named the tree 'Spike'.
This view is looking toward the back of the site and there is a stream about 15 feet past the tent.







Thursday morning breakfast: bacon and eggs in a paper bag. We had them sittin the grill alone til one caught fire and we put the griddle on.


See the bird? The night we set up he and his friends played very noisily and roughly for several hours. They flew right by our heads a few times.


There is a red deer farm nearby and they bring a trailer with a deer to the campground for the kids to see and feed.


And Friday Night's dinner:

You need:
One London Broil
One or two bottles of yellow mustard
One canister of table salt
A wood fire burned down to coals

A pair of tongs or a fork for turning is nice but if you forget and leave it at home you can make do with some sticks and a hunting knife.


Squirt the mustard on the meat.


TOTALLY cover it...I promise you won't ruin it!


Now the salt



Cover it all. At this point I'd let it sit for 5-10 minutes next time I do it to let the salt soak into the mustard a little better.




Now flip it salt side down on top of the coals in the fire pit



Carefully (those coals are HOT!) cover the naked side with mustard and salt. Let it cook for about 7 minutes.







Flip it over carefully using the tongs that you packed or a marshmallow stick and a hunting knife.


That excess mustard just wipes off and you don't really taste it, but that is why the next time I'd let the salt soak in for a few minutes before dropping it all in the fire.

This is one of our favorite camping meals - I dare you to try it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I can not believe you published the London Broil recipe, complete with step-by-step pictures! Really brings back memories of those awesome campfires and makes me miss the old gang.

Well, I finally am getting settled in a "permanent" place out here in California. As I was unpacking my knives in the kitchen, I could hear your husband giving me heck about getting them sharpened. Perhaps wrapping them in bath towels and storing them for a year was less than ideal.

Hope all is well with you all. And yes, I was floored by how elegant a certain young lady looked for her semi-formal! BTW, I will be in NJ in November for my 100 year high school reunion.

Love from the Left Coast : )