Friday, September 08, 2006

Trying to catch up...again

Things are plodding along here. School's in full swing - next week will be the first FULL week of school since they had last Friday and Monday off for Labor Day. Both of the older kids are in Middle School now and they only have one Back-to-School night for all grades, so we'll only have two to go to this year instead of 3.

The Husband is swamped at work, unofficially managing a project and a moderately clueless consultant. When he was working from home yesterday he ran some stuff by me to try to figure out if the problem was in his explaining or in the Consultant's understanding. Well, since I understood it pretty well I'd say it's not the explaining...

We've had lots of rain and it mainly seems to happen in late afternoon so soccer has been frequently cancelled. They had pictures last night (but no practice), and The Boy has a baseball game tomorrow morning (they've also been rained out a lot so this will only be his second time at BB since it began in August. Also tomorrow Older Daughter will be starting Horseback Riding Lessons, thanks to her wonderful AuntL who is not only paying for lessons but also transporting OD along with CousinS to the barn every Saturday. Thanks AuntieL and family!

The garden is horribly overgrown but I'm harvesting mucho tomatoes and basil. There are a few eggplants and peppers holding thier own and I picked (well, I accidently mowed over the vine) a watermelon today that's the size of a cantaloupe. That's bigger than last year's which were the size of tennis balls! The Boy ate both in one sitting.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Can husband pay you for understanding the explanation of the task? How many weeks must he babysit?

Rain sounds fun, send it our way! Actually, we have had some, and had to drain the pool down 3 times in the last 3 weeks. I don't mind if we keep getting it though!

I hope your week runs smoothly with the new school swing. I still feel like the week is too long, or the homework time is too short. If everyone gets to bed on time, we are ok the following day.

I hope to see pictures of the riding lessons. What a wonderful Auntie!

I need to get my garden ready to plant. Did you grow your vines UP this year or out? I want to build a support out of conduit for the vines in the back. I can actually start making a garden plan and decide what I want to plant now! YIPEE! How did the watermelon taste? Last years are darling!

Laurie said...

I was extremely sloppy with the garden this spring and virtually nothing got staked/trellised until waaaayy late. Consequently, there is one pumpkin vine growing up the trellis (but it's lone pumpkin is actually on the ground) and two other pumpkins and two watermelons are also sprawling on the ground. Next year I swear to trellis everything on time! It's much easier to cut the grass without dodging vines.