Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Family Tomato canning day

The Boy took some pictures a few weeks ago when we canned a half-bushel of tomatoes (that's 7 quarts of stewed tomatoes and 1 quart of juice).


Unfortunately I don't actually have 3 hands...



This bowl of fruit came from the next-door neighbor's trees (and vines), plus another box full of peaches. We got two pears from our pear tree this summer but they weren't in terribly nice shape for eating. Maybe next year - that will be the 3rd summer for most of the trees (apple, pear, peach). I finally got a cherry tree in this fall so I expect that will take a few years before much happens.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lilygloves! It's me, Nancy Today!

Your piles of red look wonderful! I used to can hundreds of jars of tomatoes, but they give me arthritic pain, so I don't do tomatoes anymore.

Today it'll be pumpkin if I can manage it!

You look good with three hands. Just think what you could accomplish with three hands.

Do you think you'd really go much faster though? I suppose I could only do one thing at a time anyway, only I'd be able to hold onto it better!

http://nancyvsont.livejournal.com

Jenny and Tony said...

I love the third hand....think how much more could be accomplished with a third hand...hmmm....We did tomatoes in September, maybe I will post those :)You have a much larger variety.

Maybe someday we can jar together!